Thursday, June 23, 2011

Deck & Landscaping Progress

One of the things Kevin and I love most about our house is our backyard. The size is just right for us and Darcy and there's a great deck to entertain on.  When we first moved in, I knew it was going to be a big project, but I was so excited to be able to call it our own.  Here are some pictures of what the yard looked like in February and April of this year.
Feb. 2011
Feb. 2011

April 2011
April 2011
April 2011
April 2011
So, we needed to: stain the deck, work on landscaping around the edges of the yard, tame the weeds and 4 different types of grass growing in the yard, tackle the gigantic rosemary plant in the back, and oh yeah get rid of the mint and raspberry patch growing in the middle of the yard. We haven't done some of those things yet, but it's a work in progress.  I've been more focused on getting the deck and side landscaping done so we could entertain and have friends over. Especially since we're having a big 4th of July party soon! 

We stained the deck a dark brown/mahogany color. The stain makes the boards look so much better and it also protects them, it's really nice now that it's done. But, let me tell you, we took on that project thinking it would be really easy and could finish in one day.... not.  It took us a few days (and a few more gallons of stain than we thought) to get all of the boards, rails, spindles and outside, but it really makes a big difference.

So, with the deck stained, I focused on what we should do for patio furniture. I loved the look of some of the high end outdoor furniture sets that look like couches, but I didn't like the price or the fact that they don't really fit our space.  Since we don't have a covered patio or area that is really protected from the elements, I was really afraid to buy something that would just end up rusting or warping after it sits outside for a while.  The deck gets full sun almost all day long, so it's important that whatever's out there can handle it.  I mixed a black wrought iron table and similar chairs from Home Depot and Lowes for the dining space.  Then, I found a deep seating set in a very similar black wrought iron from Target and decided it was perfect! I ordered it online and was unsure about how the quality would be, but so far we really like it.  I also got these great navy outdoor pillows that are Imperial Trellis knockoffs from Target. They're really cute and so affordable.  I'm really excited with how well the pieces fit our space.  Here are some pictures...

Kevin's new grill
And, here are some more shots from our garden. I'm really enjoying using my DSLR camera to photograph all of the flowers and things in our yard. Some of these aren't the best pictures, but I'm getting better. 

We have a huge butterfly bush, I mean HUGE. It was cut back in the spring, but omg, it's exploded. I love it because it really attracts a lot of butterflies and they're so fun to watch. 

So, that's our "Back Yard Tour" for today. We have a lot of work to do in the actual grass and back of the lot, but that will come eventually. For now, I'm just excited to be able to sit on the deck and relax with all that we've done so far! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a difference! I love the way the deck turned out! The stain and all the furniture looks so nice! Did you and your husband do all the deck work yourself or did you hire someone? The planter on the deck looks great too.. love that idea! Your friends and family are going to love that space.. your party sounds like fun! :)

    My husband and I want to re-do our backyard deck. The owners before us didn't take good care of it and all the beams are warped and not stained. We're hoping to get it all re-done before the fall. I'll have to show him this post so he can see the before and afters! How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole! We did do all of the staining ourselves, it was a lot of work, but so worth it! The deck and planter box around the bay window were already built, but the wood was kind of tired and in ok shape. We didn't do anything other than staining, so it's pretty amazing what that alone can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok, wow.. it all looks so nice and new! I guess I didn't pay too much attention to your before photos! haha It all came together so nicely! I bet you're so happy to have that done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really made a huge difference! It looks great! Our tiny back yard looks horrible right now. We decided yesterday that our weekend project was to improve it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article./Wow.. looking good!

    Landscaping

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your deck and landscaping look great! I’m sure it looks a lot better by now with the pathway and deck lights. It would be nice if you’ll get to post pictures of them lighted up at night.

    Allison Shallenberger

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips